Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Why do we have sidewalks?

Last night while watching the news I discovered that Orlando, Florida is the Number 1 most dangerous city for pedestrians—and I’m not talking just in our state. It is the number 1 most dangerous city for pedestrians in the country. While it is nice to be number 1, no one wants to be bestowed an honor such as this.


According to the news report, the majority of traffic accidents involving pedestrians are the pedestrians’ fault. I can absolutely understand this. I don’t know how many times I am driving through my neighborhood and there are people walking in the street. Not only does my neighborhood have sidewalks, but many times when they are in the street they are walking the wrong way. Pedestrians are supposed to walk against traffic when they are walking in the street (Florida Department of Transportation). Furthermore, Florida law states that you are only allowed to walk in the street when no sidewalk is available.

Sometimes I wonder if I’m the only one that paid attention in my driver’s ed class. Maybe since no one uses the sidewalks properly in my neighborhood I'll just start driving on them instead...they are always empty.


No comments:

Post a Comment

ss_blog_claim=2f97baa0b9d54f8debe247ab3759ee6b