Friday, November 6, 2009

Falling back....why do we do it anymore?

Everyone knows the old adage "Spring forward and fall back". This of course is for daylight savings time. I understand why our country finally decided to go forward with daylight savings time with regards to World War 1. What I am trying to understand is why do we still change our clocks either forward or backwards twice a year? There are areas of our country alone that do not change their clocks during the year, Hawaii for instance.

When I first started dating my husband years and years ago he would complain every fall about how he hated the time change and he did not like when it got darker earlier during the day. Back then I would just laugh it off, I didn't really care one way or another, I guess I was just kind of used to it. Now that I am a mother, I find that my feelings toward this have changed.

A few days ago my daughter and I were in the backyard playing in the afternoon. We finally had a milder temperature for our area of Florida and it was just a nice day to be outside. Lilly was having fun swinging and playing with her dogs and I was lying on the hammock and just soaking it all in. However, we weren't able to stay outside as long as we normally would during the summer. It was 6 p.m. and it was already starting to get dark outside. Normally during the summer there would be times we would stay outside playing sometimes until 8 p.m.! Now that we have set our clocks back an hour, we aren't able to enjoy our dinner and then go play outside afterwards.

Yesterday luckily she took her nap on time and was able to go outside and play for a little while when she woke up. But still it was only a little while, maybe half an hour. When I had to take her inside and see that dissapointed look on her face, all I could think was "This freaking sucks." I wonder how many other people think about this and wonder why we still change our clocks.

How I would love for next spring when we "spring forward" for that to be the last time we adjust our clocks...

No comments:

Post a Comment

ss_blog_claim=2f97baa0b9d54f8debe247ab3759ee6b