Monday, November 30, 2009

My crazy hair coloring story!

I'm the kind of girl that can get bored with certain things in life--I like change. One thing that easy to change is hair color. My husband doesn't like me cutting my hair, so this is one thing I feel I can change without it bothering him too much. Anytime he starts complaining I always tell him he's lucky I don't feel the need to change husbands constantly! That usually quiets him down :-)


Before I had my daughter (and had more disposable income) I would go get my hair done--color, highlights, haircuts, whatever. Nowadays most of our money goes to the kinds of things most families spend their money on--food, bills, clothing, other necessities. Having to spend our money on these things leaves little money for frivolous things, such as getting my hair done.

So last night I decided to try out a boxed highlighting system that I bought at the store. It came with hair color and a highlighting section to match. The cost was around $13 so I figured it was worth a shot since I used to pay around $90 to get my hair colored and highlighted professionally.

Since its winter I decided to go back to a dark brown shade with some red highlights. Mom colored my hair and then started to do the highlights. After she started to do the highlights some of it got on her arm and it was then she realized it wasn't a color lifting hair color--it was bleach. We only left it on for about 10 minutes but it was too much. It made the highlights almost look stop sign red....way to freaking red for what we were going for! Mom decided to put a different color over the highlights to tone it down, but only leave it on for about 10 minutes.

So we colored, washed & dried my hair a total of three times yesterday for a process that took a total of about six hours to complete, only to get my highlights barely visible. I don't think I'll be using this system again. If I decide to try highlighting my hair again, I won't be using this system. Instead I'll just buy a lighter hair color to make the highlights; bleach is too harsh for the hair.

Live and learn I guess!

No comments:

Post a Comment

ss_blog_claim=2f97baa0b9d54f8debe247ab3759ee6b